Arriving at København H too early, I had a cup of coffee while waiting for the bureau de change to open. Not every European country uses Euro, Denmark is one of them which has its own currency - Danish kroner.
After changing currency and having my backpack stored in the locker, I rented a bike. Copenhagen is well-known for its bicycle friendliness with separated bike lanes and even traffic systems. Cycling here is more or less the same as riding a motorcycle, you go along the cars but on your own lane, you follow the bicycle traffic signals, you stop beside the cars. When the light turns red, it's really a scene to see so many people standing around you, on their bikes.
At first I was very nervous. The last time I was on a bike, I fell, it was in Pangkor few years ago. And afterall I've never cycled on the main road full of vehicles before. What's worse is that I couldn't even reach the ground when I stopped, mainly because my legs are too short.
However, after one and half hour of cycling around the city, I managed to cope with it pretty well. Actually I was kinda lost during this 1 1/2 hour, I wasn't following the map, everyone there was so 'pro' in cycling, I couldn't and didn't want to stop to look at it. But who cares, I just kept cycling forward, turned into whatever direction I liked and enjoyed the fresh morning breeze.
After studying the city map, I cycled to the sights one by one.
Rundetaarn - the round tower
Rosenborg Slot - castle
Kastellet - the fortress
The famous Den Lille Havfrue aka the Little Mermaid which I couldn't even get near it.
the Gefion fountain
Marmor Kirken - the Marble Church
Frederiksgade and the Amalienborg Palace which I had no idea why there was a long queue.
Operaen - the Copenhagen Opera house
Kongens Nytorv - a square with erm... crystal balls?
Royal Danish Theatre
Nyhavn - the new harbour full of restaurants and cafes.
Børsen - the stock exchange
the under-construction Christiansborg Palace
Market at Strøget
Copenhagen City Hall
and the City Hall Square
which is the place where I had my lunch
Train at 1342
Next station: Hamburg Hauptbahnhof
During the journey, all the passengers were suddenly requested to leave the train and come back after 45mins. I did not know what was going on and I actually thought that we were just stopping by a station for a break or something. When I went into the 'station', I was so happy that there was a very nice sea view before I started to feel that I was 'floating'. That only I realised that I was actually on a ferry. Precisely, the whole train boarded the Scandlines ferry traveling from Puttgarden to Rødby and continued its way to Hamburg.
Unfortunately, the train was delayed and by the time I arrived in Hamburg, it was getting dark.
I did try my best to explore around yet knowing that I am not so much an owl and could easily lost my way in the dark, I've given up Hamburg after 2 hours.
Back at the station, I found that the night train I planned to take at 0024 required several changes where I could actually reach my next destination within two hours with a direct train. There I decided to stay and take the first direct train in the next morning.
I spent my whole night at McD in the station, from 10pm till 6am. And only I discovered that not every McD offers free WiFi, but at least I could still have my batteries charged.
After a McD meal, a McFlurry and a cup of coke, I did anyhow survive until the earliest train at 0600.
Next station: Berlin Hauptbahnof
No comments:
Post a Comment